The Church Avenue Business Improvement District invites all artists to submit a proposal for Uncover Church Avenue, a public art contest along Church Avenue in Brooklyn.
We strongly suggest that applicants subscribe to this website via the “Follow UCA” button on the home page to recieve notifications of program updates, such as additional mural sites, partnerships, and artist opportunities.
The APPLICATION DEADLINE is Friday, November 11th at 5 pm.
Artists 16 years of age or older who reside, attend school, or work in the New York City area are eligible to apply.
“Church Avenue is ….”
Submissions should reflect the overall theme of the contest. Designs should be community-focused and considerate of the surrounding environment. Preference will be awarded to submissions that best reflect the theme of Uncover Church Avenue.
All mural sites will be posted with dimensions and individual design priorities on the Uncover Church Avenue website under the section labeled Mural Sites. The winning artists will receive a stipend for design and installation. All installation materials will be provided by the Church Avenue BID.
- Designs may be submitted by individuals or as a team
- Artists are encouraged to visit the site prior to submitting an application
- Artists are encouraged to apply to multiple sites.
Artists must submit the documents listed below:
- Design proposal(s) with a brief description of the design and how it relates to the theme of the program. Artists may submit up to 10 designs per site.
Note: Please label all design proposals with “Last Name_Design Title_Site Address” (For example: “Smith_ChurchAveMural_1221Church”)
- Artist’s bio and/or resume
- A completed copy of the Artist Application
- Signed Release Form
1) Submissions will be reviewed by the Design Advisory Committee after the Application Deadline. Decisions will take into account originality, overall theme, and adherence to the stated priorities of each site. Please review the Mural Sites section of this website to learn the site’s priorities.
2) Select applicants will be contacted in mid-November and their designs will be sent to the merchants for constructive feedback. With the assistance of the BID, artists can engage in a dialogue with property owners to ensure that the proposal considers the best interests of the artist and the merchant.
3) Designs will appear in a brochure, produced by the BID, and distributed throughout the Church Avenue area. The brochure will be released in December 2011.
4) The community will then have an opportunity to vote on the winning designs. The winners will be announced publicly in January 2012.
The chosen designs will be installed in Spring 2012.
A PDF of the Artist Submission Guidelines.
For Digital Submissions:
Email Application Materials with the Subject Line “UCA Application_Last Name” to
For Mailed or In Person Submissions:
Church Avenue BID
884 Flatbush Avenue, 2nd floor
Brooklyn, NY 11226
718 – 282 – 2500, ext 63237
Please feel free to contact Melissa Skolnick with any questions regarding the application or the program.